Califon is a borough in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. It is a historic town with quaint shops and vintage houses. It was first called California by Jacob Neighbor who was in the milling business at the time of the California Gold Rush. The name was later shortened to Califon due to the fact that California would not fit on the welcome sign. Califon was incorporated from portions of both Lebanon and Tewksbury Townships on April 2, 1918. The Califon Historic District is a 164 acres listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It includes 154 contributing buildings, 3 contributing structures and 1 contributing site. Also in the center of town is an iron historic bridge over the South Branch of the Raritan River.
The dissemination of listings on this website does not constitute the consent required by N.J.A.C. 11:5.6.1 (n) for the advertisement of listings exclusively for sale by another broker. Any such consent must be obtained in writing from the listing broker.
Copyright © 2020 Garden State Multiple Listing Service, L.L.C. All rights reserved.